Information: Bishop Gargallo elevated the village of Gharghur to the dignity of a parish on the 16th July 1610. The present church, dedicated to the Apostle St. Bartholomew, was built in 1610 and was consacrated by bishop Alpheran de Bussan on the 22nd April 1736.
Name: Parish Church of the Apostle St. Bartholomew Dedication date 22 ta' April 1736
Priest: Parish Priest Rev Albert Schembri
Office Address: 10, Triq Ferdinand, Gharghur GHR 1453 Telephone: 21413488
Office Hours: Mondays and Saturdays: 9.00 - 11.00 am Tuesdays: 6.00 - 07.00 pm
Masses: Sundays and Feast Days: 6.00, 7.30, 9.00, 10.00 am and 6.00 pm winter and 6.30 pm summer Saturday Evenings: 5.00 pm winter, 6.30 pm summer Weekdays: 6.45, 7.30, 8.30 am; 6.30 pm winter ; 6.30 pm summer
Other information on churches under this parish: Church of the Assumption (taz-Zellieqa) Mgr. Dusina, during his pastoral visit in 1575, recorded that the church was built by a young woman as a thanksgiving act for a grace she received during an apparition of the Virgin which took place in 1560. The church was rebuilt in 1650, and is opened regularly every Saturday from 8.00 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Priest in charge Parish Priest Holy Mass Every first Saturday of the month 7.30 am St. Nicholas Church The church was first built in the 15th century, but Mgr. Dusina closed it together with a large number of rural and village churches. It was rebuilt in 1656. It is now open for Eucharistic Adoration daily between 6.30 am and 8.30 pm; on Sundays between 8.00 and noon. Church of St. John the Baptist This is a very old church and served as a parish church for the Gharghur people until the time when the present church was built. Bishop Balaguer closed it in 1659 but was later re-opened. The village cemetery is adjacent to it. Holy Mass First Monday of the month: 11.15 am Chapel of St. Mary (ta' Bernarda) This chapel existed at the time of Mgr Dusina's visit but was rebuilt in 1655. It is known as "Ta' Bernarda" because it was built by a certain Bernarda Cauchi in 1571. She donated it to the Church. St. Mary's Chapel at Maghtab The chapel was built in the 18th century on the site of an earlier church which is mentioned in the Acts of Mgr Dusina's Pastoral Visit. Porziuncola Retreat House In 1959 the Franciscan friars started building a retreat house at Bahar ic-Caghaq, although they had been living in a house in the area since 1947. From the 14 July 1964 retreats and meetings have been held in the house regularly throughout each year. Director Rev Julian Sammut OFM Telephone: 21374222 Address: Porzjunkola Retreat House, Triq il-Porzjunkola, Bahar ic-Caghaq NXR 5272 Church of St. Mary of the Angels The Franciscan friars since 1947 resided in a small house at Bahar ic-Caghaq near the church of St. John the Evangelist. On the 16 July 1973 they started building a new church, a small convent and a pastoral centre, which were blessed on the 2nd August 1995. The church was consecrated on 2nd August 2000. Priest in charge: Rev. Eddie Pace OFM Telephone: 21378639 Address: St Mary of the Angels Conventi, Triq ix-Xambekk, Bahar ic-Caghaq NXR 5073 Holy Masses Sundays and Feast Days: 8.30, 9.30, 10.30 am Mondays to Fridays: 6.15 and 8.00 am Saturdays: 8.00 am and 6.30 pm