Information: Tarxien became a parish in 1592 and the present parish church was built on the site of three small churches dedicated to st. Paul, st. Luke and st. Nicholas respectively. The altarpiece was painted in 1874 by Pietro Gagliardi.
Name: Parish Church dedicated to the Annunciation to Our Lady Dedication date: 9 May 1782.
Priest: Parish Priest Rev Reuben Deguara
Office Address: 35 Main Street Tarxien TXN 2554 Telephone 2182 8153 Office and Home 2169 3379 Church
Office Hours: Mondays and Fridays 10.00 - 11.30 am 5.00 - 6.00 pm Wednesdays 5.00 - 6.00 pm Saturdays 10.00 - 11.30 am
Masses: Sundays and Feast Days: 6.00, 7.30, 9.00, 10.30 am; 5.30 pm Saturday Evenings: 6.00 pm winter); 6.30 pm (summer) Weekdays: 6.00, 7.00, 7.45 am; 6.00 pm (winter); 6.30 pm (summer)
Other information on churches under this parish: Church Of All Souls The old chapel which existed near the Tarxien Cemetery was too small for the people visiting it to pray for the souls of the faithful departed, and so it was decided to build a larger church dedicated to the Risen Christ. The architect, in planning the new church, was inspired by the remains of the neolithic temples nearby. Priest in charge Rev Jesmond Manicaro Holy Masses Sundays and feast days: 6.30, 8.00, 9.30, 11.00 am Saturday evenings: 6.15 pm Weekdays: 7.15 am; 6.15 pm Church Of St. Nicholas Of Tolentino The Augustinian friars opened a College at Tarxien in 1948 and the college chapel became very popular with the people living in the neighbourhood, so a large church, seating about 600 persons, was planned. Marriages may be held in the church. Priest in charge Rev Franco Grech O.S.A. Telephone 2182 8017 Address St Nicholas of Tolentino Convent Lampuka Street Tarxien TXN 1141 Holy Masses Sundays and feast days: 7.00, 8.30, 10.00 am Saturday Evenings: 6.30 pm Weekdays: 6.30, 7.15, 8.30 am; 6.00 pm Church of St. Bartholomew, apostle The church took twelve years to build and was dedicated by Bishop Labini nine years later in 1797. The person providing funds for the building of the church wanted it to be dedicated to Our Lady of Good Counsel and to St. Bartholomew. He wished the parish priest of Tarxien to take care of the church, building for him a residence near the church. The feasts of Our Lady of Good Counsel and of St. Bartholomew are celebrated in the church and marriages may be held there. Presently it is used for Perpetual Eucharistic Adoration. Church Of St. Mary The church was first built in 1415, and suffered considerable damage during the great siege and was rebuilt in 1668. The church is dedicated to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary into heaven. The Feast of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary is celebrated every year on the 15th August. Today it is used for Prayer Meetings. LAY INSTITUTIONS AND MOVEMENTS IN THE PARISH Confraternities Holy Sacrament, Our Lady of Divine Doctrine, Our Lady of the Holy Rosary, Our Lady of the Girdle, Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish Groups Altar servers Parish Cell Groups for Evangelization Word of Life Group (Focolare Movement) Married Couples Group Adult Catechesis Group "GOD IS LOVE" (Catholic Charismatic Renewal Prayer Group) Parish Choir Pageant Group Pre-Youths Z.A.K. (Catholic Action Youths) Catholic Action (Ladies' Section) Legion of Mary Ladies' Circle M.U.S.E.U.M. Male Section M.U.S.E.U.M. Female Section Parish Commissions Diakonia, Family, Catechesis, Liturgy Processions Annunciation (Parish Feast) Our Lady of Divine Doctrine Corpus Christi Sacred Heart of Jesus Our Lady of Sorrows Our Lady of the Holy Rosary