Information: Zejtun, formerly known as Bisqallin, was already a parish in 1436. The present church was built between 1692 and 1728 and is one of the best works of Lorenzo Gafŕ; before it was built the old church of St. Catherine, popularly known as old St. Grergory church, served as the parish church.
Name: PARISH CHURCH DEDICATED TO ST CATHERINE OF ALEXANDRIA, VIRGIN AND MARTYR Dedication date 10 May 1774
Priest: Archpriest Rev Eric Overend
Office Address: 2 Triq San Girgor, Zejtun ZTN 1021 Telephone 2169 4563 Fax 2169 3704
Office Hours: Mondays 4.30 - 7.00 pm Tuesdays Wednesdays Fridays 9.00 - 12.00 am 4.30 - 7.00 pm Saturdays by appointment
Masses: Sundays and Feast Days: 6.30, 8.00, 11.00 am and 6.00 pm Saturday Evenings: 5.15, 6.30 pm Weekdays: 6.15, 7.45 am and 6.30 pm
Other information on churches under this parish: Church of St Catherine, known as the Church of St Gregory Originally the church was built in the 12th century but the present church dates from 1492: today it serves the pastoral needs of the people living in the area. Formerly on the 12th March each year a procession left the Cathedral Church and proceeded to this church, but later on the day of the procession was changed to Wednesday in Easter Week. Several suggestions have been made with regard to the origin of this votive procession, but in recent years Fr Michael Fsadni O.P. found a document in the Notarial Archives which state the procession was due to a request by the Pope for prayers for peace in all Christian countries, and bishop Cubelles of Malta therefore instituted this procession, which today starts from the church of St. Clement on the outskirts of Zejtun. Priest in charge Mgr Dr Anthony Abela Telephone 2167 7187 Holy Masses Sundays and Feast Days: 8.00, 10.30 am and 7.15 pm (Youth Mass) Saturday Evenings: 6.30 pm Weekdays: 7.30 am Church of Our Lady of Mercy The present church was added to a small church built in 1865 on the site of a small chapel which had been demolished and rebuilt several times. Priest in charge Rev Remigio Saliba Telephone 2167 2216 Holy Masses Sundays and Feastdays: 8.00, 11.00 am Saturday evenings: 6.00 pm (winter); 6.30 pm (summer) Weekdays: 07.00 am; 06.00 pm (winter); 07.00 pm (summer) Gebel San Martin Pastoral Centre Was inaugurated in 2001 to serve the pastoral needs of the Gebel San Martin Housing Estate and nearby area which previously was served by St Clement Chapel, which is very limited in space for today's needs. Priest in charge Rev Angelo Seychell Holy Masses Sundays and feastdays: 10.00 am Saturday evenings: 7.00 pm (winter); 7.45 pm (summer) Weekdays: 7.30 am Church of the Holy Spirit The church was built in 1688 and in 1788 it received a new facade; today there is daily exposition of the Blessed Sacrament from 7.30 am to 1.00 pm and from 3.30 to 4.45 pm. Priest in charge Rev Remigio Saliba Church of St. Mary “Tal-Hlas” The church was built in 1682 on the site of a much earlier church; it was restored in 1859. Priest in charge Archpriest The church was built in 1682 on the site of a much earlier church; it was restored in 1859.Archpriest Holy Masses Sundays and Feastdays: 7.00 am Weekdays: 7.45 am Church of the Saviour The church was first built in 1500, but was rebuilt in 1747 while restoration work in the building was undertaken about fifty years ago. Priest in charge Rev Angelo Seychell Church of St. Clement The church was built in 1658. On Wednesday in Easter Week the procession which in ancient times left the Cathedral now starts from this church to proceed to old St. Gregory’s. Priest in charge Rev Angelo Seychell Holy Masses Sundays and Feast Days: 7.00 am Church of St. Mary at Hal Tmiem The church was built in 1629 and today it is used for for various spiritual encounters and activities. Priest in charge Archpriest Church of Jesus of Nazareth The inastitute of Jesus of Nazareth was founded by Guseppina Curmi, the daughter of the mayor of Zejtun. The present Institute was built in 1913 while the church was built in 1853 and consecrated in 1958. Holy Masses Daily: 7.00 am